Tuesday, May 21, 2013

ER Visit

It’s 7am and I haven’t slept since the night before last. As many of you probably know from following Wendy on Facebook, she’s been sick and running a fever for the past 2 days. After trying to go to sleep last night she woke up crying and hurting pretty severely. I cuddled her and tried to keep her as content as possible. Around midnight she vomited on me and her, so I went to change her clothes. As I was changing her, I noticed her chest was swollen, her pulse was well over 200, and her breathing was labored. It was like she was holding her breath for a moment in between each breath. I told Zed immediately I was taking her to the ER. I would rather be safe than sorry and I knew I’d never sleep while being worried about her. Zed had taken his sleeping medication and was kind of out of it, so I called my mom. (Also, Zed isn’t the best at handling stressful situations, especially when it comes to Wendy.)

We arrived at Athens Regional around 1am. The lady who took our name as we went in was being crappy and absolutely not worried about us because she was talking to co-worker about ordering shoes online. She obviously wasn’t paying attention when we said Wen was having problems breathing. So we got someone else’s attention and said we needed to see a doctor, now. They took us straight back.

We met with the doctor and he said, after examining Wendy, that her throat was red and her chest sounded congested in the front, which could be causing her chest to be swelling. She was also still running a fever of 101. He said he wanted to do blood work, chest and abdomen X-rays (to make sure her intestines weren’t twisted since she was born with intestinal malrotation), a urinalysis, and flu test. Her blood work, flu test, and urinalysis all came back fine (we are still waiting for one blood test to come back, it takes 24-48 hours). Her chest X-ray wasn’t terrible and her abdomen X-ray showed she was still constipated and gassy. We did a breathing treatment and they gave her Tylenol. She was diagnosed with a viral syndrome and upper respiratory infection. Since both of those are caused by viruses there is nothing we can do, except wait it out because antibiotics won’t kill a virus. We have to follow up with her pediatrician tomorrow.

Wendy is now sleeping. I’m hoping I will be able to fall asleep shortly. I have a feeling Wendy and I will be doing a lot of laying around and napping today.

No comments:

Post a Comment