Saturday, July 27, 2013

Pouty Lips and Temper Tantrums; Reining In the Terrible Twos



The terrible twos isn't just something special needs parents go through. Unfortunately, this ugly phase is something all toddlers will experience to a certain degree. Some kids may experience them as early as their second year, beginning right after their first birthday, others may be two or three years old. Wendy is almost 22 months old, and the TT’s are in full force!


She has the sweetest little face, so it’s SO HARD to tell her no to anything, especially when she does that pouty little lip and looks up at you with those big, dark blue eyes, but it’s something that has to be done, usually for her safety. Most of the time, I’m telling her no, don’t eat this or no, don’t pull on your feeding tube when she freaks out and throws a huge tantrum, but there are other times when I can simply be changing her diaper or carrying her to another room and she gets mad. And boy does she know how to throw a fit! When a temper tantrum strikes, my sweet, precious Wen turns into a 16lb Tasmanian Devil that I can barely control.


Luckily, for me, this phase won’t last forever and the signing is helping give her a way to communicate, so we’re hoping that will help too. Being almost 2 and nonverbal is difficult. She can’t tell me what she wants, so she slaps me in the face or pulls my hair. It’s a good thing she’s so adorable or she’d probably be getting away with a heck of a lot less!  ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment