Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Long Time… No Blog

I  guess it’s been a while since I sat down and wrote a blog. Facebook has made me lazy as far as blogging goes because most of Wendy’s followers are following from her Facebook page instead of following this blog. When I made a page for Wendy a little over a year ago, I promised myself I would not give up this blog. This blog was how people got to know who Wendy was. So tonight, I’m taking the time and I’m going to update you on what’s been going on in our lives, which you may already know if you follow Wen’s Facebook.

It was a rough December with Wendy getting sick on my birthday. She woke up that morning with an incredibly high fever so I did what any mother would do, I cancelled my massage at the spa that I had planned.  I watched her, looking for other symptoms, but could find none other than her being lethargic. It made me think back to this past summer when she had that abscess on her chest. She was behaving eerily similar. A few hours later the redness started on her chest, so at that point I was pretty sure it was another abscess caused by a strep infection. I called her doctor and we decided to put her on Clindamycin to try to stop the abscess before it forms. Within a few days, she was back to normal.

A few weeks later, I noticed a skin infection in her ear, which was diagnosed as infantigo and treated with topical antibiotics. At that appointment I got her doctor to check her lymph nodes because I felt one while I was changing her diaper. Not only were there several on both sides of her groin, but there were also ones underneath her arm. Our doctor wanted to do bloodwork and at that point I knew they were checking for Leukemia. A geneticist once told us that children with abnormal 7th chromosomes are higher risk for childhood Leukemia. I immediately took her to have her blood drawn. This was on a Friday and we had to wait until Monday for results. My heart was in shambles. I couldn’t bear the thought of Wendy going through any more suffering. I know she may never have a normal life, but she’s two years old and has been through so much in her short life. I called as soon as the doctor opened on Monday and when I asked, they told me to hold on, the doctor wanted to speak to me. I was preparing myself for the worst, but she said Wendy’s counts were high, but not cancer high. So for now, she is fine!

Now for today. Last night Wendy wouldn’t sleep (she had a runny nose, from what I assumed was allergies). I finally got her to bed after midnight and she woke up at 4:30 am with a fever of 104. I took her to the doctor at lunchtime today. They tested her for strep throat and the flu. Both were negative. Her lungs are clear and her ears look good. She was diagnosed with a viral infection, that just requires fluids, motrin and tylenol, and of course TLC from her mommy.                                                                  

No comments:

Post a Comment