Friday, March 15, 2013

Tripp Halstead


Many of you have probably seen or heard about Tripp on Facebook. He is one popular little boy. His family also needs continuous prayers, which is why I’m writing this blog about him.

For those that don’t know what happened, here’s Tripp’s story in his mothers words.

Bill and I met in 2006 and got married in 2007. We were both living in Asheville, NC. I fell head over heals for him and still feel that way 5 years later. He is an amazing husband and father.

I was already 30 when we were married, so we wanted to start a family. Now I realize that is not as easy as it sounds. We thought we had it all planned out. And each month was met with huge dissapointments.

So finally we decided to go to a fertility clinic and were told we were perfectly healthy, but since we had been trying for so long, they would help us. Nine months later, we had a perfect baby boy. (I had a pretty horrible pregnancy, was on bedrest, had to walk with a walker and sometimes had to travel by wheelchair. I developed a muscle disorder, then placenta previa, so I had to have a vertical C section. So you might notice my huge scar in some of the bathing suit pictures posted.) But it was all worth it to have my baby.

So a year and 1/2 later, we decided to have another baby. Went back to the same fertilty clinic and got pregnant with a baby girl. Ella Mary Halstead. Her due date was set for Oct 2, 2012. Yep, the same month as Tripps accident. But I had a misscarriage just a few months after being pregnant. At that time, it had been the most dramatic thing I had ever personally dealt with. I cried and cried, couldnt sleep, eat, ect. Anyone that has gone through this knows what a nightmare it is. And we learned soon after that, if we didn't try again immediately, my eggs would be gone. But we were too devastated to try at that point.

Dr's don't know everything, but to be told Tripp is the only child I would ever carry inside me, make this accident even worse. I couldn't imagine losing my one perfect miracle. So we are so thankful that he is still with us. No matter what condition he is in. The Dr's still won't tell us how far he will go. They just say with this much brain damage, most children don't survive. So that is why we pray every minute of everyday. No one knows what he will be able to accomplish.

Some of you might not even know what happened the day of the accident...He was playing on the playground at daycare and a huge limb fell out of a very high tree. It fell on his head and crushed his skull into many pieces. They took him to Winder-Barrow hospital and then flew him to Egleston Childrens hospital in Atlanta. As Bill and I were driving to meet him in Atlanta, I don't think we spoke 10 words to each other. We were scared and we just prayed. We honestly didn't know how bad it was.

As soon as we got there, they let us see him. He looked perfect. No blood, no cuts, he looked so peaceful. Then the Dr started telling us how bad it was, and it took me some time to realize they were saying he could die. It was a slice to my heart and soul. So the next few hours after that were a total blur. When I dropped my happy, perfect boy off at daycare that morning, it might of been the last time I saw his smile or his eyes open or him awake. I will never take another day with my baby for granted.

So he survived surgery, then the next 24 hours and made it til Friday. Then he took a turn for the worst and they told us to say our goodbyes. That was the worst day of my life. To think he had survived this and then given no hope. But Tripp proved them wrong, he is a fighter and he pulled through and we have never looked back. He is in rehab now and even though he is making tiny babysteps, he is moving forward. 

I cherish every moment with him. He is my whole world and I want him to know how much he is loved. I didn't want this post to be all sad, I wanted everyone to know how important every single day is with your loved ones, hug them, kiss them, let them know how special they are to you. Even if Tripp hadn't pulled through, I can honestly say there wasn't one single day of his life that he wasn't hugged on, kissed on and told "I love you". He is a very special boy and thank you all for loving him too.

You can read more recent updates on Tripp’s Facebook page. An update from his mother, Stacy, that I read today truly broke my heart.  She said, I look at my sweet sweet beautiful baby and can't believe this is my child. Laying there motionless, no expressions, no movement of any kind, no noise except the occasional scream or cry. No recognition in his eyes. It made me realize that yes, the trials I may face with Wendy and have faced with Wendy have been and can be just as difficult as what they’re going through, but at the same time, I feel like its easier for me. Not because I am stronger than Tripp’s mother, but simply because I was prepared. I knew at 23 weeks pregnant when I had that amniocentesis that something was wrong. I knew before I even gave birth to my baby that Wendy had a one of a kind unbalanced chromosome translocation. I knew that she was the only baby in the world to have this. I also knew she would face and have many disabilities. I can’t imagine having a “normal” child and all of a sudden having everything change in one instant. And that’s exactly what happened to Tripp and his family.

So tonight when you pray, not only am I asking you to pray for Tripp, but pray for his mother and father too. Pray for peace within them, strength for them to continue on this journey, and courage to face the things they thought they would never have to. 

1 comment:

  1. Praying for Tripp and his wonderful family. Also praying for your family and your little Wendy. God bless.

    ReplyDelete