Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Upcoming Surgery Drawing Near

As most of you know, Wendy was born with an imperforate anus. This is the reason she has a colostomy. Surprisingly, it’s fairly common in children occurring in about 1 in 5,000 births. Depending on the severity, it can take up to 3 surgeries to correct. Some times doctors can fix it without having to put in a colostomy, however, Wendy was so tiny the surgeon wanted to perform 3 different surgeries to repair her because you only have one chance to fix it and get it perfect. We definitely want it perfect because we want her bowels, colon, and anus to work properly!


In 8 short days Wendy will undergo an anoplasty. The surgeon will actually be going in to make her an anus. About 3 weeks after surgery, we will have to start dilating it to get it stretched and working. After that, they will be able to go in and connect her. That means no more colostomy!


I’m excited to be so close to having this problem corrected, but my nerves are freaking shot. It’s terrifying knowing that I have to take Wendy in for a procedure. I feel like something may go wrong and she may end up back in the hospital for another 71 days and I could not handle that. As long as everything goes according to plan, Wendy is only supposed to send 2-3 days in the hospital. But when she had surgery for her g tube she was only supposed to in there for another 3-7 days and she was in there for 4 more weeks. In situations like this, you pray for the best and prepare for the worst. I’m hoping since she’s bigger and stronger now that it will be less complicated and less demanding on her tiny body. I know it will be hard no matter how well the surgery goes though. It is breaking my heart already to even think about her being on a ventilator again. But this is something that we don’t need to put off. So I’m having to put my mommy worries aside and be strong for Wendy.


On a very positive note, I am almost at 18,000 views! That is so fantastic. I honestly cannot believe how many readers and how much support has come from this blog. I really hope you all will continue to follow up on Wendy’s story and keep her in your prayers!

No comments:

Post a Comment