Sunday, May 20, 2012

Life As We Know It

It's truly amazing how much you can love someone so small. My heart grows every time I look at Wendy. It's hard to believe something so perfect is a part of me, that she is mine. But she is.

I spend most of my nights and days tending to her every need and want. Seeing as she is a very special child, she has quite a few needs. My afternoons are spent preparing formula with lots of extra calories, changing her dressing around her g tube, and administering medicine. It's weird to think that other parents don't do the same thing. For us, this is normal.

After reading a book about raising special children, I realized not all parents handle it well and gracefully. I like to think I am one of those that handle it fabulously. As difficult as some days are, and believe me, some days are I-want-to-rip-every-strand-of-hair-out kind of days, I wouldn't change a moment of it. Every minute my baby spent in the hospital, every syringe I have washed, every colostomy I have changed has shaped me into the loving and caring mother I see myself as. Some people may pity my family. If you're one of those people, it's you I truly feel sorry for. Because if you feel one ounce of sadness for my beautiful family, you obviously can't see the joy, love, and happiness that our life is filled with. Prayers we will take. Sympathy, we can do without.

No comments:

Post a Comment