Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Nursing


Today was my first attempt at actually breastfeeding Wendy. I've been pumping since the day she was born, but I would like to actually be able to nurse her. We brought in the lactation consultant and she showed me how to properly hold Wendy and how to position my nipple. Wendy never fully opened her mouth or latched on but she would suck on her lips some when she tasted my milk. They said that was a good sign. It was nice just being skin to skin with her and bonding some. We are going to start doing Kangaroo care since she has her picc line out now.

She is trying to maintain her own body temp now but she's been running a little low so they may have to turn the heat back on. Also because of the problems with her intestines she had to have surgery and get a Colostomy bag, not sure if I have mentioned that before. Well they are having problems finding an adhesive that will stick to her skin. Her bag has come off or leaked 4 times in 2 days, and it breaks my heart seeing them peel the adhesive off her akin while she screams and cries. I hope they can figure something out soon.

Doctors are still saying her discharge date will be around her due date and that if she can't learn to bottle or breast feed by then they'll send her home with a feeding tube. Gah, November 20 cannot get here fast enough!

No comments:

Post a Comment